A Surprisingly Happy Birthday...
As this week began I haven't thought too much about my approaching birthday. Yesterday, I started thinking about it more, but felt quite glum about the current circumstances of my life and didn't really want it to be my birthday. I guess you could say I started feeling a little sorry for myself. I am now embarrassed that I felt that way, because this birthday has actually turned out to be very special. This is what I came home to last night...the most perfect gift from my very thoughtful Hugh...
{A very beautiful piano that I am so excited to start playing}
Thank you sweetheart....I have wanted a piano for such a long time. Hugh found this gem from a gentleman that fixes and tunes old pianos. I love having a piano that has a little history...even if I don't know what that history is. I think the finish is so beautiful! Ruby couldn't wait to get her grimy fingers on it.
Just when I thought I couldn't get a better gift...one came today while I was with my little Hughie. When I arrived Hughie's cute nurse, Natalie, asked how I was doing. I told her I was okay and that it is actually my birthday today (maybe I was feeling a bit glum again). A little later she asked me if I wanted to hear some good news...'"sure!" I replied. "You get to hold Hugh today!" she told me. She had asked the nurse practitioner if I could hold Hughie, and he thought that was a great idea. So...I got to really hold my sweet son for the very first time. It took a good ten minutes to get him prepped for the event as Natalie and the respiratory therapist worked to get all his lines secured and him bundled in a blanket. The transition to my arms went smooth and while I was holding him, Huhgie's heart rate was the lowest we have ever seen it...I like to think he enjoyed it as much as I did. I am not even going to try to put my emotions and feelings into words. It truly was the most special moment...thank you Natalie. Thank you God for blessing my life and my birthday with such a special little spirit.
{Little Hughie safe in his mama's arms}
{He is one special little boy}
**I also want to thank everyone who reads my blog for all your love, support, comments, and caring. It gives me such a lift to read your comments and feel your sincere concern for our little family. I feel very blessed to have so many family, friends, and even people I don't interact with all the time, lending support in such a difficult time. Thank you.**
A little Hugh update...he has had a good day today. He got his first dose of medication to start closing one of the holes in his heart. We are hoping and praying that this will be successful in helping him get better. He has tolerated being off the nitric oxide, so closing his PDA is the next step. Some more blood was sent off to Philadelphia this week for one more genetic test...the results will be back in two-three weeks.
22 comments:
What an amazing birthday gift- from both Hugh and little Hughie! You are so special, Meg. Thank you for showing all of us how wonderful you are. :) And.. Happy Birthday! We love you!
Ty and I were just looking at your blog for an update and we are both sooo happy to see that you got to hold Hughie today. Glad to hear he had a good day and hope you have had a great birthday. Love you Meg...
Tyler and Drew
wow. i love seeing these pictures of you holding little hughie. you were right the other day when you said that babies are meant to be cuddled and held - how special to know that hughie needed that experience as much as you did.
i love you meg. you've touched so many lives. happy birthday.
I am so glad that you were able to hold your sweet little man, what an mazing experience that must have been...
I am so glad that you were able to hold your sweet little man, what an mazing experience that must have been...
Wow! That is the best present you could have asked for. I love seeing you be able to hold your little man. So cute. I also love the piano Hugh gave you, what a great husband! Happy Birthday and I love you tons!
Meg your birthday gifts were priceless...both of them! I am so happy you finally got to hold your little man! Your family is strong and will get thru these hard times just hang in there. I hope the meds work so little Hughie doesn't have to go thru surgery. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. Debbie
Ah what special gifts. I love that piano and I love the pictures of you holding your babe. More than anything I love that his heart rate calmed down being in his mom's arms. It's amazing to me what a mother's can do even in the first moments of life.
Happy Birthday Meg. I don't know if you will even remember who I am but you know my husband, Devin Johnson. I have loved reading your blog and updates on little Hughie. Your family is in our prayers!
PS you are an amazing woman!!
Megan~ You don't know me. I am married to JJ Sorensen (good friend of Will's and in turn your husband Hugh.) Will told us a little bit about what has happened. My heart goes out to you and your family. As I read this post and saw the pictures of you holding your precious baby boy, I cried. What a sweet moment that must have been. I hope you got to hold him for some time.
Your story has touched me and I pray for your Hughie.
Stay Strong :)
Lindy
Meg I'm just crying tears of joy for you! That is the most amazing gift! Happy, happy birthday to you! I know your arms have ached for him!
Ruby was just practicing up on her piano skills at my house the other day! What a wonderful gift. You will always remember when you got it!
Happy Birthday Meg! I wish we were closer, I would have baked you some nice warm banana muffins. It sounds like you are pretty loved! it is so nice to see that babe in your arms.
Megan, this is Kellee from work. I've been stalking your blog since I heard about Hughie (Along with everyone else at work). I wanted to tell you happy birthday and tell you how amazing you are. Every time I read your posts, you are always positive and your posts are full of so much love and admiration. I hope you know how many people love and care about you. Everyone on the floor is thinking of you and keeping updated by your blog. Know we love you and are praying for you, your family, and your little Hughie.
Kellee
Megan,
Hi. I cried when I read your post today. It's painful to know that someone as wonderful and thoughtful as yourself is having to go thru such a difficult and uncertain time.
Your little boy is beautiful. Hughie obviously has a strong little spirit. I pray that it won't be too long until he is well enough that all of you can be home together again. Happy bday. Deirdre
Hey Meg! I am so glad I found your blog. I love reading about your tender moments with little Hughie. What an experience that must have been to finally hold him. The pictures brought tears to my eyes. Your family is in our prayers. Happy Birthday old roomie :)
Megan,
I saw you the other night going into work and you were talking and I didn't want to interrupt but I wanted to stop to give you a hug and tell you that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so happy that you got to hold him. I know he feels of your love everyday. Don't we love our special spirits God has given us. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Love
Lyndsey Grimm
Happy Happy Birthday Meg! I love your presents what a sweet husband you have... and I am very pleased to see a pic of you holding Hughie, Yea finally. what a special moment. Now I will just have to keep waiting for the pic of the little guy home safe and sound :) Love ya Meg hang in there your a tuff little Mommy.
Megs, you and your sweet little Hughie have blessed our family more than you will ever know. You are always in our thoughts and every prayer. Thank you for sharing this special time with all of us. I am amazed at your optimism and strength and please know we will always love you. Hughie is so blessed to be a part of your family and just know he feels so loved! Your Hugh is really amazing and wish him just as much support and love.
Jeff & Liz
Hi Megs, Happy Birthday. I love that Hugh found the Perfect gift for you. I know how much you love playing the piano. I love that you got to hold hughie. You are such an inspiration to so many people. I love you stay strong Anj
What a wonderful blessing to hold little Hughie. i can't even imagine how special that moment must have been what a gift! You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Julie
hugh that is an amazing gift man. The Bus driver always delivers!!
Meg- you are making me teary eyed every time I read the blog. It is Definitely showing me perspective on what matters in life. (on a side note, you are a great writer, probably one of the most well written blogs that I have read.)
we are thinking about you.
love eric and cindi
Meg,
Thanks you SO much for sharing your love of your sweet Hughie, sweet Ruby, and sweet Hugh!
My heart is full as I read through your blog!
You are so strong!
Love, Leah
Post a Comment