Monday, August 29, 2011

Snapshots from Henry's Birth Day.







Once again, I am reminded how love expands with each new child. It was so wonderful to hold sweet Henry in my arms immediately after he was born. He was plopped right onto my chest for some skin-to-skin time and I felt so blessed he made it safely. During the last couple of months preceding Henry's arrival, I had been so nervous for the labor and delivery...and nervous about his well-being. Mostly, I was hoping to avoid a c-section this time around.

My labor and delivery was filled with tender mercies from the Lord. I know it, because I felt them and I felt the spirit. Hugh did too. Before leaving for the hospital I was scared and uneasy and my tears started flowing. Hugh gave me a priesthood blessing just outside the car as we were loading up. When we arrived to the hospital I was already dilated to an 8 (a blessing). Then our nurse just happened to be one of my sister's best friends who knew what I wanted and didn't want for this delivery (another blessing). Seeing her bright smiling face put me at ease and I knew everything was going to be okay. After being at the hospital for 40 minutes, my doctor arrived and I was dilated to a 9. He broke my water and about an hour and a half after being admitted, little Hank came into this world, screaming and pink (the best blessing of all). And although my labor was quick and relatively bearable, pushing out my little guy did not come without some major screams...I remember at one point thinking, my poor child has to come into this world hearing his/her mother screaming at the top of her lungs. It was nothing like "breathing your baby out" as the hypnobirthing book described it. I'm grateful for Hugh's encouraging facial expressions, and when I asked "Can you see the head" or "Is the baby close", he ever so convincingly nodded yes. I have since been informed that he had no idea how close Henry was to coming...he was just trying to get me through.

It was a beautiful morning...welcoming our son into the world. It was wonderful to meet the little one who had been growing inside of me for the past 9 months. It was a tender bonding opportunity for Hugh and I to prepare for this labor and delivery together and then actually put our practice to use. And although Ruby did ask where baby sister was, it was so sweet watching Ruby and Henry meet for the first time. I feel loved by my Heavenly Father and so grateful to Him that all is well. And as I look at my Henry and hold him close, I feel his brother close too.

8 comments:

Jasmine said...

Oh, Meg! I'm just tearing up at your words! I'm so glad that you guys had such a beautiful birth. We look up to you guys so much!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Birth Story...

mjm said...

YAY! you proved you can do hard things. together. is there anything more beautiful than that? happy anniversay. :)

by the way, these pics are making me homesick, haven't had that feeling in awhile...i love you guys.

becca said...

what a beautiful birth story and so well written that I felt the JOY reading it! So glad you had a beautiful natural birth. I go natural too and did hypnobirthing as well as Bradley. I told Devin and he laughed....commenting " all these nurses go natural!"
Isn't a beautiful thing? Don't worry about the screaming. I totally lose all composure during transition and pushing....BUT that means the baby is NEAR!! What made you want to go natural? Was it to avoid C section?? just curious.
Those sweet pictures and beautiful birth story make me want to have a baby....AND I just had one!
You are an amazing couple and I have loved being able to share in your life via the blog-o-sphere.
TAke care and enjoy that beautiful baby boy.

Unknown said...

great photos meg, i'm so happy for you!

McCall said...

so beautiful. You're a champ, Meg. I loved reading every little piece of this post. Love you.

Mike and Lisa said...

Hey Megan, I stumbled across your blog and have been reading it occasionally...I hope you don't mind! :)

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you congratulations! You have such a cute family!

Emily said...

Hi Meg,
You don't know me but I found your blog after reading a comment you left on my friend Becca's blog. Just wanted to say congratulations on your birth of your sweet Henry (I love that name by the way! If we had another boy I think we would name him Henry :) and glad you had a smooth au natural birth. Isn't that the most amazing feeling in the world after going through all that and ending up with your baby in your arms at the end of it all?
I read back in your older posts about your son Hughie and shed many tears reading about his short but important time on this earth. I'm sure you're feeling his sweet spirit so much right now. I wish you all the best for your cute little family. Hope it doesn't bother you if I peek in on your blog now and then! Take care (and I hope you get some sleep with your new baby here now :)
Emily J.